There are some pieces that you will wear forever. No matter what trends come and go, these are the pieces that will stay in your closet for years and years. These are worth spending money on – they should fit perfectly and be the best quality you can afford.
1. The Perfect Pair of Jeans: If you haven't found your perfect pair yet, keep looking. Go with a friend to a store with lots of brands, have a salesperson help you and try lots of different jeans until you find them. Buy something classic – dark wash, boot cut, no embellishments. These will be your go-to jeans that will make you feel amazing.
2. The Little Black Dress: This dress fits perfectly. You can dress it up with heels and an amazing statement necklace or you can throw on flats and a cardigan and wear it to work. You can wear it to a formal wedding or out to dinner with friends. Its something you can throw on at a moment's notice and feel fabulous.
3. The Dress pant: Even if you're a stay-at-home mom, you still need a pair of all-occasion dress pants in your closet. They don't have to be black — try charcoal grey, heathered chocolate brown, herringbone or even pin stripes. Because sometimes denim is just not okay.
4. The Trench coat: When you slip on a classic belted trench, you immediately look (and feel) like a sophisticated city girl. Its been in style forever and its not going anywhere. A good trench will last you the rest of your life.
5. The White Blouse: Can you even imagine a wardrobe without one? Wear it with everything.
6. The Day Dress: Whatever floats your boat. Go for an amazing fit – whatever flatters your body most. It can be floral or solid, bright or neutral: think something that will be perfect for a day wedding, showers, etc.
7. The Festive Top: Something you can pair with denim for a girls' night out or dress pants or a skirt for date night with your husband. Find one with a great pattern, a bright color, a interesting neckline – something different than you would normally wear. This should be something that feels special and fun!
8. The Peacoat: Like the trench, this will last you for years and years and is not going anywhere. While you can go with a classic color like black or camel, why not get red or plum to add a splash of color to your winter wardrobe?
10. The Pencil Skirt: Instead of insisting that you should have a suit, I think having a pencil skirt is a good compromise. This is a 'trend' that comes around every year because its just so darn flattering and easy to wear that we just can't let it go! Pair it with a sweater or blouse and heels and you'll look just as nice as if you were wearing a suit.