Summer is finally here! And for my family that means we’re out enjoying every last minute of daylight. Even if it makes for a later night than we’re used to. And as fun as it is, the puffy, groggy face that greets me in the mirror the next morning is not something I look forward to.
Running short on sleep but don’t want others to know? Try these tricks to look instantly awake even if you’re running low on ZZZ’s:
1) Take a cold shower. Icy, cold water gets your circulation going and adds color to your skin. If you’re like me and can’t give up the hot shower, at least wash your face in colder water.
2) Get rid of sleepy-eye redness with eye drops such as Visine Maximum Redness Relief. Or if you’re a contact wearer like myself, be sure to thoroughly clean your contacts with solution to remove protein buildup that could cause additional redness and irritation.
3) De-puff yourself. There’s no better solution than taking a ten-minute breather with a cold washcloth or a package of frozen veggies across your eyes. The cold will constrict the blood vessels and reduce swelling.
4) Don’t overdue it. Use concealer sparingly under your eyes. A large buildup of makeup to cover up circles will just create more attention.
5) Use an eye-brightening pencil on your lower lid. I’ve already sung the praises of Smashbox’s Eye Beam Double-Ended Brightener ($22), but have also tried out Tarte’s EmphasEYES brightner ($18) and was impressed with the results of both! Just line your lower lids and then the inner corner of your eyes.
6) Don’t skip the mascara. When you’re tired, your eyes seem to sink into your head. Mascara brings them back out. Curl your lashes first at the base, then halfway up. Add a generous coat of your favorite mascara (my current favorite is bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara – $18)
7) Lighten up. Use a finishing powder to set your makeup. These translucent powders soften imperfections and create a radiant glow. Try Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder ($30) or Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil ($19)
8) Drink water, LOTS of water! Dehydration will not only make you look tired, but will cause puffiness, especially if you have a lot of salt in your diet.
9) GET some sleep! These are all quick cover-ups, but there’s no substitute for a good night of sleep. Balance out your late nights with a few nights of proper sleep. Shut-eye is essential to looking your best!