One of the highlights of our trip to Beaches Negril had to be our visit to Dolphin Cove!
Dolphin Cove is the #1 attraction in Jamaica – for good reason. This award winning resort is located in Lucea, Hanover, about 30 minutes from our resort in Negril. This 20 acre property is the largest natural dolphin lagoon in the world. Visitors have the opportunity to interact with dolphins in their natural sea environment. We arrived and were immediately welcomed by a friendly staff. We found out we had to split up into two groups: three of us were going to do the Dolphin Touch and two were doing Dolphin Encounter.
Dolphin Touch is perfect for all ages. Colin is just 4 and he was very comfortable in the water. You stand on a platform in waist deep water (waist deep on an adult – Colin needed to be held, as the water was up to hos neck) and touch, interact and get kissed by a dolphin. The trainers share the entire time about dolphins, answer questions and share how they train and care for the dolphins in Dolphin Cove. I was very impressed by the way they obviously have a deep relationship with the animals – and they were able to answer any question that was asked. We learned so much!
The Dolphin Encounter is what my husband and Ellie did – it was pretty amazing and definitely worth the extra cost. They swam with dolphins, got kissed, danced with the dolphin, rode for a bit on a dolphin and generally had an amazing time! I would recommend this for older kids (Ellie is 9), and kids need to be able to swim. You are in quite deep water with a huge dolphin, so younger children might be too intimidated to get your money’s worth.
A few notes:
- Make reservations beforehand – this attraction fills up fast.
- The cost does not include transportation to the resort. From our resort, it was $20/person.
- Do not wear jewelry – it can scratch the dolphins.
- Bring sunscreen, but apply either much before you arrive or after your swim, as sunscreen can irritate the dolphin’s eyes.
- Cameras of any kind are not allowed in the dolphin area. Digital pictures and video of your experience is available for purchase.
- Bring towels!
disclosure: we received a discounted rate for dolphin cove as part of a press trip to jamaica. all opinions are my own.