For the last twenty years fashion has been about what plus size women should not do; but last five years there has been a shift in the thinking, that encourages women to look good on their own terms by ditching the old rules. Fashion for plus size women is no longer about looking slimmer but looking good no matter what our size.
Looking good on your own terms involves taking the advice of others, applying to your lifestyle and personality then adjusting them to suit. In other words, if my fashion do’s don’t do-it-for-you on some level then move on to the next or better yet, define your own rules.
- Wear bright color tops, dresses, bottoms, and swimsuits.
- Experiment with belts — thick AND thin.
- Wear stripes and not just vertical ones either.
- Experiment with bold patterns and graphics, maybe even mix two.
- Fork out the money for a good supporting strapless bra and actually wear it.
- Wear a tube dress (with the bra you forked out the money for above).
- Add variety to your shoes. There are two inch, three inch, four inch heels, the choice is yours.
- Try a two piece bikini (but don’t forget to apply sunscreen your tummy).
- Shop for the size you are now.
- Dress for the size you are now.
The most important thing you can do for your wardrobe is have variety. Gone are the days where we kept the same pair of pants until we died. Try to avoid the clothes horse syndrome too — if you are not wearing it give it to someone who will.
Plus size fashion, clothing period, is supposed to be fun. We should not limit ourselves because someone has arbitrarily decided, “That does not look good on fat!”