For a holiday event, you want to take your daytime makeup routine up a notch (or maybe even a couple notches) but it’s always a bit of a challenge to look glam without overdoing it. Its tempting to just put everything on a little bit heavier… but then you just end up looking like you piled on the makeup. Why not try something different to take things up a notch without overdoing it?
5 Holiday Party Makeup Tips
1. Try a new color palette.
Don’t go heavier… just go different! Choosing a different color palette and then applying as usual, sticking with your typical application, is a great way to go special. I usually wear neutral earth tones during the day, but when I go out at night, maybe I’ll wear plums or dark gray on the eyes or switch to a darker lipstick to give me a different look.
2. Try a dramatic eye.
There are lots of great smokey eye tutorials online – even try the Make Up Forever App. And you can even use plum or blue for something different! Just keep the rest of your makeup minimal — a neutral color on the lips works best with a smokey eye. Or if the smokey eye is too much, use liquid liner and go for a more subtle cat eye (like Zoe here) — very glam, but a but more low key.
3. Bold lips.
A bold color on the lips instantly changes your look. You can instantly go from office to party without having to overhaul your makeup. You can go all out with a deep lipstick such as Lancome’s L’ABSOLU ROUGE. Or just dip your toe in the trend with a colored gloss such as the Chanel Levres Scintillantes Glossimer Lip Glosses. Keep eye makeup simple so as not to distract from the lips. (By the way, bold doesn’t always mean red! Deep plum is all the rage right now.)
No glitter, folks. We’re not in high school. Try a highlighter on the upper cheekbones and the bridge of your nose, such as Topshop Glow Highlighter. Or even try a blush with a bit of shimmer, just to add a but of interest to your regular makeup.
5. If you really want to splurge, get false eyelashes for the night.
They really aren’t as hard as they look – I swear! Shu Uemura Feather False Lashes come highly recommended, and they retail for only about $20. Just be sure to follow the directions:
1. Apply all other make-up first, except mascara.
2. Check fit by applying lashes without adhesive. Gently remove lash from platform starting from the outside corner of the band.
3. Place lash on eyelid after flexing a bit and drape along lid as close as possible to root of your natural lash. If lash is too long, trim from outside edge.
4. After sizing, apply a thin coating of Lash Adhesive along back of lash strip, then apply. Adhesive will dry clear in a few minutes.
Which one will you try?