If you spend any time reading blogs or magazines then you know that retro and vintage are hot terms that are thrown around left and right but what do they really mean?
When it comes to clothing, vintage refers to items that have been previously worn by someone else and were created before the 1980s. If you have something in your closet before the 1980s and it was originally yours go ahead and call it vintage, no one will hold it against you.
This term is going to get even more popular as the year go on. Retro refers to new clothing that was made to look like it is vintage. The most common pieces are blouses, skirts, dresses, swimwear, and jewelry.
These two terms are often used interchangeably but now you really know what they mean.
Shops for Vintage Inspired Plus Size Clothing
Here is a small selection of online shops that offer a range of retro of vintage inspired clothing for plus sizes. Each shop offers a slightly different style, some are retro based while others often supply retro pieces.
- Domino Dollhouse – An independent boutique in the U.S. that offers sizes 14 to 28.
- Kiyonna – This American company offers many vintage inspired pieces in sizes 10 to 32.
- Hissy Fit – This Etsy shop owner makes retro-inspired designs from rescued vintage materials into one of a kind styles in sizes 14 to 28.
- Cherry Velvet Plus – A Canadian shop with a penchant for polka-dots and more. The offer sizes S to 3x.
- eShakti – You can spend all day here looking at their retro inspired fashions that can be custom altered in sleeves and lengths. They offer sizes XS to 6X.
- Made with Love by Hannah – Check out her hand-made skirts for the most unique pattern combinations. Hannah’s designs are available in sizes XS to 3x.
- Mode Merr – This U.S. company has been perfecting their pin-up style for many years. They offer sizes XS to 3x but not all items are in all sizes and there is no plus section so you have to hunt a bit.