Honestly, it was so surreal – almost like a dream. When in your life do you get to interact so intimately with such a beautiful wild animal? When do you get to learn about them from their trainers – who love and understand them so closely – with them right in front of you? When do you wade into waist-deep water and get to make friend with a dolphin?
At Dolphin Cay in Atlantis, shallow water interactions are limited to just ten guests per dolphin, so you truly get one-on-one time with your dolphin. Your time begins with a quick orientation where you learn about dolphins and then leads to a 30-minute in water interaction. Your trainer leads you through an educational time, learning about dolphin behavior, training and even dolphin anatomy. Did you know that the first residents of Dolphin Cay were 16 rescued dolphins, who were swept to sea during Hurricane Katrina from their previous home at the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport, Mississippi?
You’ll get to kiss, hug, dance, high five, pet, feed and give cues for the dolphin to do tricks. At
TIPS FOR DOLPHIN CAY:
- You will get totally wet. Dolphins are very playful and love to splash. (And the trainers love to make them splash you
- JEWELRY IS NOT PERMITTED, for the dolphin’s safety. Lock your wedding rings in your room safe before you visit Dolphin Cay. They do have lockers, but you may be uncomfortable leaving your valuables there.
- Come dressed in your swimsuit. Locker room space is open, so its easier to just pull your wetsuit on over your suit.
- Wetsuits, personal lockers, beach towels, and non-alcoholic refreshments are provided, along with all-day access to Dolphin Cay’s luxurious private beach. You are welcome to stay and enjoy the gorgeous beach after your interaction.
- Children under 10 MUST have an adult doing the interaction with them.
- Bring your Atlantis room card or a credit card with ID – these are the only ways to pay.
- The photo CD is the best value – for $99, you can get a photo CD with 30 pictures on it, so you can print your own pictures at home. Photo print packages start at around $40.
Disclosure: This trip was provided courtesy of the Paradise Island Bureau of Tourism and Development. As always all thought and opinions are our own.