Founded in 1949, SERVV’s mission is to eradicate poverty wherever it resides by providing opportunity and support to artisans and farmers worldwide. They accomplish this by:
- Purchasing and marketing handcrafts and food products.
- Promoting sustainable development within their producer partner organizations and artisans and farmers.
You can help by shopping Fair Trade this holiday season on SERVV’s website.
Why does buying Fair Trade matter? SERVV says that it
- Assures there is a developmental aspect to each transaction.
- Acts as an advocate for our partners, helping consumers to understand the conditions under which producers work and educating them about how their buying habits have an impact on poor and marginalized people.
- Helps producers secure new customers.
- Is transparent about where products come from.
- Ensures that the Fair Trade principles as defined by the WFTO are implemented, and that artisans and farmers have access to resources such as education, health care, banking, and skills training.
But here’s the really fun part. While they do sell lots of the traditional handmade products, like crafts and decor, they also have fantastic apparel and accessories, like the Indigo Infinity necklace above.
They have gifts at every price point, and you can be sure that your gift will do more good than just putting a smile on the gift recipient’s face. Happy holiday shopping!