This is so easy, you will not even believe it! And it makes a great gift!
This recipe is done in two parts. You are going to create the butter toffee layer and then follow up with the peppermint chocolate layer on top.
Gather your ingredients and let’s dig in!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp mint extract
- 3 candy canes
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment or wax paper.
- On the stove, combine sugar, butter and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over high heat, while stirring till the liquid is boiling. As soon as everything comes to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium and continue stirring the whole mixture. Cook for about 12 minutes until the mixture thickens to a taffy like consistency.
- Pour the toffee out onto a baking tray immediately after you turn off the heat. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread the butter toffee out over the surface of the tray to a ¼ inch thickness. While the toffee is cooling on the tray, prepare the candy cane and chocolate.
- In a microwave safe bowl, chocolate melting pot or double boiler, melt the white chocolate. Stir in mint extract. Unwrap the candy canes, place them in a baggie and use a rolling pin to break them up into small pieces. Add half of the broken candy cane pieces to the melted chocolate.
- Immediately spoon the melted chocolate over the top of the butter pecan and spread it out till flat. Use the remaining candy cane pieces as topping and sprinkle it evenly over the white chocolate.
- Let the white chocolate and butter harden in the refrigerator for an hour. As soon as the toffee is hard, break it up into two to three inch pieces for eating. Store in fridge to preserve freshness.