Living here on the coast of New England, we’ve quickly become masters of the Beach Day. We have a great beach about two miles from our house on the bay, but if we want the waves, we have to drive down to Newport and make a day of it! After a few false starts (“What do you mean you forgot your bathing suit??”), we now have the perfect system down to making the most of our all-day beach days. It may look like we’re planning gone camping, but we really do only have the essentials!
- Pack and Plan: We always pack the cooler with lots of refreshing snacks and lunch. No heavy food here – tons of fresh fruit and veggies, sandwiches, and loads of water. The day before, we buy a gallon jug of water and freeze it overnight, so we have nice, cold water to drink throughout the day as it defrosts.
- Get comfy! We have a few water-repellent nylon sheets that you can stake into the ground. But a few king-sized sheets work just as well! We lay our towels on top of these to keep them sand-free. Chairs are essential! We always bring at least two, plus an umbrella for some shade.
- Get clean! Always pack hand sanitizer – some of the best beaches have only porta-potties! Baby wipes – yes, even if you don’t have a baby. They’re perfect for wiping gobs of sunscreen (or perhaps ice cream) off your hands. Baby powder is THE BEST way to remove sand! Sprinkle on your feet or hands and the sand will brush right off.
- Sunscreen up: Nothing ruins a beach day like sunburn! Make sure you are reapplying every two hours – sooner if you’re swimming or sweating a bunch.
- Bring games: Frisbee, football, sand toys, even some books! Swimming all day is super tiring and your troops will be pooped before lunchtime! Rotate your activities in and out of the water! After lunch, we always have a little break with some reading time to rest and recuperate. (Sometimes they even fall asleep in the shade for a bit!)
- Bring a Wonder Wheeler! About our second trip of wrestling everything from our car to the beach, we realized there was a reason EVERYONE HAS ONE! It is THE BEST BEACH ACCESSORY EVER!
We can fit everything that the five of us needs for the day – from our towels and chairs, to our little cooler! The Wonder Wheeler is an absolute lifesaver. The wide wheels can handle even the softest sand and with everything from a umbrella holder to having a removable tote with shoulder strap, you will have a place for everything! We even bring it on vacation and camping – it’s so convenient! (Its also amazing when you’re the snack mom for games!)
Need one for your summer beaching? One lucky reader will WIN!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, however all opinions are my own. And the Wonder Wheeler love is real.